Saturday, February 23, 2013

Con of the North 2013 review

 
 
 
ROAD TRIP
 
 
Thank you Hy-Vee gas rewards card for a nice tank of gas!
 
 
Last weekend we made our annual trip up to Saint Paul for Con of the North. It is an awesome Friday thru Sunday con. This year Zach and Brian, friends of mine also cam up with my wife and daughter for a weekend of gaming and good times.
 


 Con of the North is the highlight of my winter gaming. Getting to go up north with friends and family and play some awesome games on the best terrain I have ever had the pleasure to play on. While the registration methods of the con has much to be desired in efficiency and effectiveness, the games Terrain Specialties run are top notch. So much so, it has caused another dilemma, too many sign ups.
 
I registered online in November for the February, and while I got into the Sunday RTT fine, I only got into one event out of 5 on Saturday. Of coarse due to their system, I did not know until registration Friday night. I was very upset.
 
So we made lemonade...... I focused on playing games with my daughter and just hanging out. I finished painting my army and wrote my list up since I forgot it at home on the computer desk.
 
Sunday saw a packed RTT with 38 people playing! The armies on display were very top notch and the table are premo. Unfortunately I was doing well and never took any army pictures. I did get pictures of the tables. I'll post those up in another article to follow.
 
So I leave you with Saturday pictures of the con and yes I will go back next year. This time I hope to run a couple events on Saturday, in an attempt to work around this stupid registration system.
 
 


Zombie game I really wanted to play, unfortunately I did not get in. A trend you will be seeing more as you scroll through the pictures.








 Open gaming tables were set up for pickup games. They always had some action on them.



 
 
First person shooter style Halo game using 40k figs. Signed up for it but not in time it seems....I have never played this but it looked fun.
 
 
 
 
 
My buddy Brian at his first Con of the North.

My daughter at her 3rd Con of the North!

 

 
 
 
 
Legends of the Old West game. I signed up for it but did not get in. My buddy Brian did play in it and I have played in it in the past. Very fun and beautiful board!
 


















 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Great to see you again at Con of the North as always, Josh. Maybe the 40K Capture the Flag game and the zombie "Dusk of the Dead" scenario could be possible options for Casual Con 2013 so you'd get the chance to play them.

    As far as Con of the North updating to an electronic registration system, the gears of change grind slowly (But they really need to do that and I think enough of the right people realize it). I was talking to Jeff and he has some plans to hopefully drag them into the 21st century as far as their registration system goes. So with any luck possibly by next year's con.....

    -Matt H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you could make it to Minnesota for the con again, always great to have you up for gaming and hanging out.

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete