Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ultramarines, the movie


My copy of Ultramarines the movie arrived last week, and I have finally had the time to watch it a couple times. I will try not to give any spoilers, but simply list my generic pros and cons. The quality of the movie itself is top notch. It comes in a nice looking sleeve. Their is a box that holds both the graphic novel and the movie case. The novel is very nice. If I was a comic book junkie, it would be super awesome, but I'm not so it is just a nice addition. The movie is a two disc set in a very stylish metal case. I am very pleased with the overall style and quality of the materials used. 5 out of 5.  

The movie is good. It is not the best movie ever, and will not win an academy award for best picture. It looks alot like Beowulf in style of CG. It is ok in spots and very very good where they want it to be. You can definitely tell they were on a limited budget and had to choose where to put the money. I think if they had 2 maybe 3 times the budget, we would be looking at a movie that would be getting awards for cgi and effects.
I would rate the special effects a solid 3.5 out of 5. I would rate the spots they put the extra work into the cgi a 4.5 out of 5. It was really too bad they were handicapped by the budget and the unknown of being the first 40k movie.

The story was good but nothing flashy. My personal thought is some of Dan's story was scraped because of budget. My 2 cents. It moved along nicely but didn't go too indeth into characters. I give the story a 3 out of 5.

The action was awesome. Blood and gore all over. The fact you get to see space marines move and fight is sweet. The speeder is awesome and landscape is very nice. Fight scenes get a solid 4.5.

Overall this is a solid movie to start the 40k series. I really hope everyone goes out and picks this up and supports the idea of further 40k movies. I think it was definitely worth my $40 and since that included the shipping from England, even better. So go out and pick this one up. Grab some popcorn or just throw it on in the background of one of your games.



No comments:

Post a Comment